Recipe of the Month Vegetable Makkhanwala
Any recipe can be made vegan, by substituting ghee/ butter with oil, paneer with tofu and dairy cream with home made cashew paste. Mayavi’s North Indian recipe of Vegetable Makhanwala is dairy and oil free but delicious. Some of the things that one miss going vegan are dairy alternatives like milk, curd, panner and cheese. There are many vegan options available in the market. To make fresh at home please refer to the link: http://bit.ly/veganparyushan2022
After reversing diabetes, hypertension and hypothyroidism and other health issues like asthma, eczema, migraine, obesity on a plant- based diet, Mayavi became a whole food plant based coach and chef. She is based in Mumbai, India.
Recipe for Vegetable Makkhanwala:
- 6-8 large tomatoes steamed and pureed
- 1 ½ cups mixed veg cubed and steamed ( peas, cauliflower and French beans)
- 1 green chilli slit lengthwise
- ½ tsp cumin seeds ½ cup cashew cream (made from ¼ cup cashews & water)
- 1 tsp kasoori methi leaves roasted and then powdered by hand.
- 3 tbsp coriander/ cilantro
- 2- 3 tablespoons dates paste/ Jaggery ( soak 3-4 dates in water for 2 hours and blend)
- Tofu as required (optional)
- Dry roast the cumin seeds.
- First add the green chilli and then add the tomato puree and cook for a few minutes.
- Keep 1 tsp of cream for garnish and add the rest to the tomato puree. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the steamed vegetables and the kasoori methi powder. Add the date paste or jaggery and stir.
- Add 2 tbsp of coriander and mix.
- Garnish with the remaining cream and coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or roti
To make Tofu Makkhanwala add tofu pieces instead of vegetables. Or you can also reduce the quantity of vegetables and add some tofu in its place.